My son’s favorite meal is chicken pot pie. And not just any chicken pot pie, this exact recipe. He requests that I make it at least once a week. Good thing that it is fairly simple to make, and packed full of good, tasty ingredients. It is also really easy to adapt it for a dairy free option if needed!
Step 1: When I have the time I do this step ahead of time. I roast a whole chicken in the oven. Take the chicken off the bones and plop the bones in my instant pot to make my own stock. However, when I want the quick option, I will pick up a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store and use this. (You can also cook up some frozen chicken breasts and dice those up to use in your pie). The key is to cook the chicken first.
Step 2: Cook your veggies. Our family doesn’t love the whole peas and carrots norm of pot pies so I had to try some other options and they turned out to be amazing. I dice up zucchini, chop whole green beans into smaller pieces and add sweet corn. It’s a great combo (I promise). Saute these with a little olive oil and garlic.
Step 3: While your veggies are cooking get your pie crust ready. This is where I cheat but if you want to make your own pie crust I have included a recipe below. Pillsbury makes a pretty good crust but you can use and pre-made crust from your grocer’s refrigerator section. *Pillsbury’s is also dairy free so if you are going for that option, it works. Spread your bottom crust out over the pie pan.
Step 4: Add your shredded (or diced) chicken to your veggies and add a little bit of chicken stock to the skillet so it doesn’t burn. Cover and turn to low so it can finish cooking.
Step 5: Start making your sauce. Add 1/2 cup of cubed butter, 1/4 cup of diced onions, salt and pepper to a stock pot. Cook on med-hi stirring constantly as butter starts to melt. Continue cooking until onions are pretty translucent. Next add 1/2 a cup of flour and whisk into the butter until it forms a thick paste. Slowly, add your 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock and continue to whisk together.
Step 6: Once your sauce has thickened up move off of the heat. If I am making this the traditional way I will stir in 1/2-1/4 cup of milk. However, it really doesn’t need it and it still come out very creamy so if you don’t need it super rich or want to cut down on the dairy you can skip this step.
Step 7: Scoop your chicken and veggies into the pie pan on top of the bottom crust. Pour your sauce over the top.
Step 8: Put your top crust on and pinch the edges together to seal in the goodness. Poke a few vent holes in the center to let steam out.
Step 9: Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the sauce is bubbling. Cool, cut and enjoy!
- 2 cups shredded or diced cooked chicken (whole rotisserie chickens work great)
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 1 cup of diced zuchinni
- 1/2 cup of chopped green beans
- 1/2 cup of sweet corn
- 1/2 cup of butter ( use Earth Balance's natural butter spread if doing dairy free version)
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- Pie crust (top and bottom)
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1 Tb Minced garlic
- 1-2 Tb Olive Oil
- 1/4-1/2 cup of milk (omit for dairy free version)
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
- Saute vegetables in a large skillet with garlic and olive oil. Add a little salt and pepper for seasoning. (not too much because more will be added into the sauce).
- Put bottom crust into the pie pan
- Add chicken to veggies and 1/4 cup of chicken stock, cover and cook on low until ready to use.
- Add butter and diced onions to a stock pot on med-hi.
- Stir constantly while butter is melting.
- Once the onions are clear add the flour and continue to stir.
- Slowly add the rest of the chicken stock into the pot with the flour/butter mixture. Stir constantly.
- When the sauce has thickened remove from the heat and stir the milk in. (Omit this step for a DF version or just to keep the richness down).
- Add chicken and veggies to pie pan.
- Pour sauce on top.
- Add top crust and pinch edges together to seal in flavor.
- Poke a few small holes on top with a fork.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown and sauce is bubbly.
- Cool, cut and enjoy!
For a simple and delicious DIY pie crust check out this one: Pie Crust Recipe